Faults in Electrical Wiring to Blame for Church Fire 8/6/12
Editor’s Note: The following is a news release from the City of Odessa
August 6, 2012 – A malfunction/deterioration in the electrical system at St. James Baptist Church, 300 South Hancock, is determined to be the cause of the devastating August 1 fire.
Investigators with Odessa Fire Marshal’s office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) completed their investigation of the scene revealing electrical arcs in the attic were fueled by the wooden structure and tar sub-roof resulting in the fire. While no injuries were reported, the structure does appear to be a total loss.
ATF is required to be notified any time a fire occurs at a church